Court Marriage

Under the Special Marriage Act of 1954, court marriages are solemnised. Regardless of caste, religion, or creed, a court marriage can be performed between an Indian male and a girl. It can also be solemnised between a foreigner and an Indian. The Court marriage method eliminates the rituals and ceremonies of traditional marriages. The parties can apply to the Marriage Registrar immediately for the execution and registration of their marriage, as well as the issuance of a marriage certificate.

  1. a) Call for introductions. A 30-minute phone call to get to know your advocate and discuss how you’ll collaborate.
  2. b) Checklist of list of documents required will be shared.

    c) Filing for application for Court Marriage.

    d) Court appearance and Solemnisation of Marriage on the appointed day.


What’s Not Included

  1. Court Fees and Stamp duty as applicable shall be payable extra.


You May also want to know

  1. a) Who is responsible for giving notice of an impending marriage?

The parties to the marriage must offer written notice.


  1. b) Who should receive the notice?

The notification is served on the marriage officer in the district in which at least one party must have resided for 30 days prior to the date of service. If the male and female are in Delhi but want to marry in Mumbai, for example. At least one of them must fly to Mumbai 30 days prior to the wedding date and stay there until the wedding day.


  1. d) Who is responsible for publishing the notice?

The notification is published by the district marriage officer to whom the notice was served.

  1. e) To whom objection to marriage is raised?
    To the marriage officer of the concerned district.
  2. f) What are the consequences if objection(s) are accepted?
    The marriage officer must, within 30 days from the date of objection, make inquiries and if the objections are found to be true, the marriage cannot be solemnised.
  3. g) What is the remedy in case objection(s) have been accepted?
    An appeal can be filed by either party.
  4. h) To whom is the appeal filed?
    The district court within the local limits under the jurisdiction of the marriage officer.
  5. i) When can an appeal be filed?
    Any time within 30 days from the date of refusal to solemnise marriage.
  6. j) Who has to sign the declaration?
    Both parties and witnesses (in the presence of the marriage officer). It will also be countersigned by the marriage officer.